Thoughts at the end of Year 1

Year 1 of the new syllabus in IB Biology is now done.  It’s been an interesting year and I’ve often felt that I was feeling my way through the course, but I think it was a successful year overall and I do like the direction that the course is moving in. This is my second syllabus change and I know the first cohort of a new course is the most challenging.

Units Covered

I teach the course based on conceptual units (thanks to @iBiologyStephen for an inspirational blog post on this; also his thoughts on curriculum planning in general).  I managed to get through the following units this year:

  • Unit 1: What is Biology? – 5.1 Evidence for evolution; 5.2 Natural selection; 5.3 Classification
  • Unit 2: The Chemistry of Life – 2.1  Molecules to metabolism; 8.1 Metabolism; 2.2  Water; 2.3  Carbohydrates and lipids; 2.4  Proteins; 2.5  Enzymes
  • Unit 3: The Double Helix – 2.6  Structure of DNA and RNA; 7.1 DNA structure and replication;  2.7  DNA replication, transcription and translation; 7.2 Transcription 7.3 Translation.
  • Unit 4: Cells – 1.1  Introduction to cells; 1.2  Ultrastructure of cells; 1.3  Membrane structure; 1.4  Membrane transport; 1.5  The origin of cells
  • Unit 5: Making New Life – 1.6  Cell division; 3.3 Meiosis; 10.1 Meiosis; 6.6 Hormones, homeostasis and reproduction; 11.4 Sexual reproduction; 9.4 Reproduction in plants
  • Unit 6: Inheritance – 3.1 Genes; 3.2 Chromosomes; 5.4 Cladistics; 3.4 Inheritance; 10.2 Inheritance; 3.5 Genetic modification and biotechnology; 10.3 Gene pools and speciation

This is a similar position to where I was a year ago with the last cohort of the old syllabus, so I think I am moving through the course at a good pace.

IA

Three of the new criteria – Exploration, Analysis, Evaluation – are essentially improved forms of the old Design, DCP and CE. I have had my students complete three practice labs assessing Analysis and Evaluation, much as I would have under the old syllabus. I hope to get a practice exploration in early next year.  With only one option to complete at the end, our science department is thinking of devoting a 3-4 week block of class time in between finishing the Core/AHL and starting the Option, around Jan-Feb 2016.  I am going to have the students start brainstorming ideas on our class Google+ page to get the creative juices flowing and encourage as much creativity as possible.  I am  excited by the option of allowing students to choose databases as their mode of data collection and also by the idea of just one IA for them to focus on.

Nature of Science

This has been the most challenging part of the new course, I think. For the first few months I didn’t even really touch upon it, beyond mentioning it at the start of our units. The tension is in trying to understand how much students have to know, content-wise, and how much is based more on “big-picture” ideas.  The specimen papers on the OCC offer some guidance but I feel we won’t know for sure until after the first exams.  I have started to put together some practice exam questions of my own and would be happy to collaborate with other teachers on a bank of these. I have found using this blog to be a powerful way to get the students engaged and have them thinking about these ideas, though it is a process that is continually evolving.

There have been some good conversations on twitter about these changes, although somewhat limited by the 140 character limit. I would love to hear from other teachers in more detail about how they have found the first year of the course and their plans for Year 2.

Advertisements